As a business coach, I want to help people build amazing businesses that help make their lifestyle dreams come true. The important word in that sentence is HELP. I want to be helpful to clients.
I feel happy and fulfilled when I'm able to be helpful.
During a client session this week I had the opportunity to gently scold my client about not asking for more help between sessions. She's a VIP client and that means she can ask me questions during the week between our phone calls and I'll respond within 24 hours. She could, but she wasn't. I ran through what my experience has taught me about this. Clients who are new to coaching feel many things:
- Like they're going to be a bother.
- Like they're questions are silly.
- Like what they need can wait.
- Like I'm going to be annoyed by them.
These are natural thoughts for anyone who ever had a crabby teacher or impatient trainer. They go out of their way to make you feel bad for having questions. While I won't claim to be the most patient person in the world, I do claim to be a helper at heart. So I point out to my client:
- You're not a bother.
- Your questions are not silly.
- You don't have to wait – you've paid for the privilege.
- I'm never annoyed by a client who chases answers and takes action.
The very next day I got an email from her. Makes me happy!